Childhood Memories
By: Jolene Fernandez/ 804
There's fish on
my walls.
Paper fish,
Smiling fish.
They smile
Stretched arch
smiles
Like parentheses.
Paper smiles
But mine is real.
I put stickers on
my door-
A little girl
with pink hair and
A boy with blue.
They smile at me
Two tiny
parentheses.
Put the
parentheses together and they make
A hug,
Two thin arms
reaching to
Hold me
Hold me up
In silly giggles
Warmth and
strength
Don’t you ever
let me go.
Now, the sun has
risen and set
Thousands of
times
I can barely keep
count
And I come to
greet the fishes
And the little
girl with pink hair and
The boy with blue
But
My tiny little
room is no longer
Me.
I have left and
The fishes are
gone,
The smiles have
faded,
And the stickers
Have been peeled
away.
And all that is
left on the door is
A scratch of blue.
“Childhood Memories” is largely
inspired by the memories I developed as a kid while growing up in California. My
bedroom held a number of those memories, of which the poem focuses in on. What
I remember most from my room were the construction paper fish that decorated my
walls. My mother had pasted them up, and they always reminded me of her and my
father. They were homey and welcoming and somehow made me feel loved, just like
my parents. As for the stickers, those had been put up as a part of my doing.
The boy and girl mentioned on the stickers are real characters called Little
Twin Stars, and were definitely some of my favorite Sanrio characters growing
up. The sense of connection and delight I felt toward them was something I
hoped to capture while writing this poem, and something I hoped that readers
would feel as well.
During this unit I certainly think that I expanded my knowledge of
poetry. One of my favorite lessons was the creative writing assignment, in
which I felt really challenged us to think beyond our boundaries and see poetry
in a new light. From this unit I have also learned to not be afraid of personalizing
poetry. Most, if not all of my poems this year have been based off of my
personal experiences, and by using this information I was able to see myself more
clearly in my writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment